Attaching the Pencil Skirt Lining includes:
Constructing the Lining
- Sewing the Lining to the Facing
- Sewing the Lining to the Back Vent
Step 5: Constructing the Lining
- Stitch front to back together at the sides
- Stitch the back seam between the notches (below zipper to back vent)
- Turn up the hem 1,2″ twice and Stitch (it’s going to be a 1/2″ double fold)
Step 6: Sewing the Lining to the Back Vent
- Cut a diagonal line in the back vent opening seam allowance (1/2″)
- The red line is the stitching line
- Pin the Right Side of the Lining upside down to Wrong Side of the Skirt upside up.
- Stitch the Lining Back Vent opening to the Skirt Back Vent Seam Allowance
- Stitch each side to the back seam
- Turn and Press the Lining upside up
- Stitch the Lining to the skirt Back Vent sides
- The hem of the lining should end about 1/2″ from the skirt hem
- For reinforcement, you can stitch with a zigzag stitch about 1/4″ on the vent opening.
Back vent from the right side
Step 7: Sewing the Lining to the Facing
- Pin and Stitch the lining to the Facing, matching center front and side seams
- Pleat the dart excess (You don’t need to sew the dart)
- Fold the Facing wrapping the zipper and Stitch about 1/4″ from the Zipper.
Step 8: Finishing
- Lastly, install a hook and eye at the center back according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Congrats! You are done.
These are skirts that I made with this pattern!
If you’re sewing along, I’d love to see and share your pencil skirts! Please share if you’d like, by tagging me on Instagram (@myhandmadespace) or on Twitter (@MyHandmadeSpace). You can use the hashtags #mhspatterns and #mhspencilskirt. If you are not on either of those, you could always email pics to me at email@example.com.
Join our MHS Sewing Facebook Group and share pictures of your skirt progress. You can also ask questions!
If you haven’t join the sew long yet, you can sign up by completing the form below!
Pencil Skirt Sew Along Blog Posts