Pencil Skirt Construction Part 2 includes:
- Constructing the Facing
- Back Vent with Mitered Hem
Step 4: Constructing the Facing
- Stitch the Front Facing to the Back Facings side seams. You’ll have a one rounded Facing Piece.
- If you want to add a label to your skirt, you can attach it to one of the back facings.
The Facings Do Not have darts
- Pin the facing to the skirt matching the side seams and center front.
- Stitch the facing to the skirt.
To reduce bulk, press the facing seam allowance and the skirt seam allowance on opposite directions.
- Trim the seam allowance to 1/4″ – I like to do my trimming with Pinking Shears to trim and finish the seam in one swoop.
- Press the seam open and then towards the facing.
You’ll have a nice finishing if you press the seam open on a Point Presser with Clapper and then pressing towards the facing.
- Topstich on the facing close to the edge (about 1/8″)
Step 5: Back Vent with Mitered Hem
- Serge or zig zag the hem
- Press the Hem and Vent 1 1/4″
A Clover 7806 Hot Hemmer can make this job easier. You’ll get a nice even hem!
- Fold the Hem and Vent Point RST (Right Sides together)
- Draw a line at a 90 degree angle forming a triangle.
- Stitch on the line an trim the fabric. (leaving about 1/4″ of seam allowance)
- Turn the hem and vent with the help of a Bamboo Point and Creaser and Press
You’ll have a nice and flat hem if you use a Clapper.
- Use the blind hem stitch of your sewing machine to hem your skirt.
- Next we attach the lining and stitch the facing to the zipper!
If you’re sewing along, I’d love to see and share your pencil skirts! Please share if you’d like, by tagging me on Instagram (@myhandmadespace) or on Twitter (@MyHandmadeSpace). You can use the hashtags #mhspatterns and #mhspencilskirt. If you are not on either of those, you could always email pics to me at email@example.com.
Join our MHS Sewing Facebook Group and share pictures of your skirt progress. You can also ask questions! we all like to help each other.
If you would like to participate or follow along, please complete the form below!
Below are the Pencil Skirt Sew Along Blog Posts: