This Empire Cut Blouse Free Pattern is for a sleeveless empire waist and crossed bodice top, it features a deep V neckline highlighting the bust and shaping your waist. The pattern is available as a pdf download in sizes: S, M, L, and XL. This pattern is designed to be used with stretch fabrics.
I found this pattern in the Venezuelan Website El Baúl de la Costurera. This website publish many different free patterns and video tutorials.
Instructions in how to sew the Empire Cut Blouse are included in this video tutorial:
You can use this pattern for many different looks, below are some ideas using pictures that I found on Pinterest.
- Use a solid color and embellish the hem and neckline with beading, embroidery, or lace.
2. Use a print fabric, there are many to choose from and depending on the fabric you can use this top as summer/ summer top, or you can wear it under a jacket for fall or winter.
3. Play with the direction of stripes.
Sewing with Knits
Sewing with knits can be tricky at the beginning, but once you learn the basics it is even easier than sewing with woven fabrics. Below are some tips:
- Cut with a Rotary Cutter. I know that in the video they use scissors, but it is easier and more accurate with a rotary cutter.
- Use Ball Point Jersey Machine Needles
- A Serger will make your job a lot easier, but if you don’t have a serger you can use a zig zag stitch.
- Use a Stretch Twin Needles for the finishing (hem and sleeves)
There are 5 pattern pieces as shown in this picture:
- Front part top
- Front part center
- Front part bottom
The following seam allowances are included in the pattern:
V-Neck, shoulders, arm hole: 1.5 cm (about 5/8″)
Sides: 2 cm (about 3/4″)
Hem: 3 cm (about 1 1/4″)
This is a nice top, very easy to sew and you can wear it in many different ways. I hope you find it useful.
Share pictures of you Empire Cut Blouses in our Facebook Group! I’ll love to see what you are making.
I hope you find this pattern useful!
How much fabric is required for XL?
I really like the striped version. Does the PDF pattern include the pieces and instructions to make one like that?
Hi Anna! The pattern is not identical to the striped top! I posted the picture just as an idea in how you can use striped fabric to sew a this top.
Your instructions were clear and to the point…no wasting of time.
Thanks for sharing.
thank you very much, this model is very nice.
Thanks for sharing! I cannot find pattern piece nr. 5 though… But maybe I don’t need it?