Sew Sweetness Reisende Bag sewing pattern is available in 3 different sizes: small (purse-sized). medium, and large (carry-on luggage). It features s buckle and you can add some optional piping for added visual interest.
The finished sizes are:
- small 14” long x 9” tall x 4” deep (35.5cm long x 22.8cm tall x 10cm deep)
- medium 17” long x 11” tall x 5” deep (43cm long x 28cm tall x 12.7cm deep)
- large 19” long x 12” tall x 5” deep (48.25cm long x 30.5cm tall x 12.7cm deep)
The bag has a top-zip closure and two zippered pockets in the lining.
- 1 yard (0.9 metre) of Exterior Fabric (check the a Fabric Inspiration for Bag Making post)
- 1 yard (0.9 metre) of Lining Fabric
- 1 yard (0.9 metre) of solid fabric (quilting cotton or leather) for piping, straps, and accents
- 3/4 yard (0.7 metre) of foam interfacing (By Annie’s Soft and Stable, Pellon Flex Foam, Bosal In-R-Form, or automotive headliner; if using Flex Foam, it is only 20” wide so please purchase 2 yards, or 1.8 metre). Another option is EVA Foam Underlayment – it is cheaper and doesn’t crease as the foam interfaces. Give it a try!
- 3 yards (2.75 metre) of 20” wide Pellon SF-101 Shape Flex fusible woven interfacing (or medium-weight fusible)
- Optional: 1/4 yard (0.25 metre) of Pellon Peltex #71F one-sided fusible ultra-firm interfacing (for a firm bottom)
- Four 1” wide (2.5cm) metal buckles
- Four 1” wide (2.5cm) metal rectangles
- Optional: 4 purse feet
- Two 12” regular zippers (30.5cm)
- One handbag zipper (24” for small, or 30” for medium and large, or 60cm and 76cm respectively)
For optional piping:
- 2 yards (1.8 metre) of 5/32” cotton cording (I use Dritz Cable Cord) – 2-2/3 yards needed for size large
- 2 yards (1.8 metre) of 1/2” (1.25cm) wide Pellon Wonder Under fusible web tape (or washable glue stick)
Step by Step Illustrated Instructions are included in the pattern.
Below are some examples of beautiful Reisende Bags:
Get the Reisende Bag Pattern and make your own.
Building Better Bags: Interfacing & Structure