The Tortoise Bag Pattern is for a stylish bag that features a unique top zip closure, front handles, and side strap. The pattern is available in 3 different size options,
- small 9” long x 9” high x 5” deep (23cm x 23cm x 12.7cm)
- medium 11-1/2” long x 8-1/2” high x 6-1/4” deep (29cm x 21.6cm x 16cm)
- large 13” long x 11” high x 7” deep (33cm x 28cm x 18cm)
- 3/4 yard (0.7 metre) of Exterior Fabric (For inspiration, check the Fabric Inspiration for Bag Making post)
- 3/4 yard (0.7 metre) of Lining Fabric
- 1/2 yard (0.5 metre) of solid fabric (quilting cotton or leather) for piping, handles, and strap
- 1/2 yard (0.5 metre) of foam interfacing (By Annie’s Soft and Stable, Pellon Flex Foam, Bosal In-R-Form, or automotive headliner; if using Flex Foam, it is only 20” wide so please purchase double). I would use Eva Floor Underlayment – it is cheaper and doesn’t crease as the Foam Interfacing does – give it a try!
- 2-1/2 yards (2.25 metre) of 20” wide Pellon SF-101 Shape Flex fusible woven interfacing (medium-weight fusible)
- 1/4 yard (0.25 metre) of Pellon Peltex #71F one-sided fusible ultra-firm interfacing
- Four 1” metal rectangles
- Two triangle rings (or substitute d-rings) with 1” opening (2.5cm)
- Two swivel clips with 1” opening (2.5cm)
- One 9” (22.85cm) zipper for zippered pocket in lining
- (2) Zippers (same color) – small – 14” (35.5cm)
medium – 18” (45.75cm)
large – 18” (45.75cm)
*Do not use metal zippers for this design.
- Optional false bottom:1 sheet ultra stiff plastic cross stitch template and foam core board (in school supply section)
For optional piping:
- 5/32” cotton cording (I use Dritz Cable Cord) – (small – 1-1/4 yard; medium – 1-1/2 yard; large – 2 yards) (1.10 metre- 1.4 metre – 1.8 metre)
- 2 yards (1.8 metre) of 1/2” (1.27cm) wide Pellon Wonder Under fusible web tape (or washable glue stick)
Nylon Metallic Zippers are great for this project… they are nylon but look like metal. Since they are sold by the yard, instead of two zippers you can use one. Sign up below to receive 10% OFF your first order of Nylon Metallic Zippers.
Check out a few inspiring Tortoise Bags from around the web:
Get the Tortoise Bag Pattern and make your own!