In this tutorial you’ll learn how to sew an enclosed zipper to interior zipper pockets of any bag. Most bag patterns have instructions to sew the zipper with exposed seams, the enclosed zipper is a nice and professional finishing.
1. Start with a Zipper facing 2″ x 11″ and to turn the bag through the zip pocket use Two pocket pieces 11″ x 8″ (the size of the zipper pocket can be adjusted to your pattern)
2. On the wrong side of one of the Zipper Facing, Draw a rectangle 9”L x 3/8“W, 1” down from the top side. Then draw a line through the middle of the rectangle stopping 1/2” away from each end drawing a line to the corner creating triangles.
3. Lay the zipper facing piece on top of one Lining piece (right sides together) centered at least 1” down from top edge. Pin and Stitch on the outer drawn line.
4. Cut on the center line and the corners to the stitching line but without clipping your threads.
5. Pull the zipper facing piece through the opening to the other side and Press.
6. Center the zipper and attach it to the lining using a double-side tape and Stitch around your zipper close to the edge (1/16″ to 1/8″). You can try the Nylon Metallic Zippers – these are great for bags including interior zippers! Sign up below to receive 10% off your first order.
7. Place the Zipper Pocket piece matching the bottom edge of the pocket to the bottom edge of the facing (right sides together).
8. Flip the facing and zipper pocket piece to expose the seam.
9. Pin the Zipper Facing to the Pocket piece, Sew over the zipper facing seam very close to the fold.
10. Press the Zipper Pocket Piece towards the lining. Move the lining out of the way and top stitch 1/8″
11. Repeat with the second Zipper Pocket Piece, matching the top edge of the zipper facing to the top edge of the zipper pocket (RST). Trim the bottom pocket pieces to match the top pocket piece (about 1/2″) – Press the pocket seam allowance to the wrong side of the pocket pieces. You don’t need to top stitch the top piece.
12. Pin the Zipper Facing to the Pocket piece, Sew over the zipper facing seam very close to the fold.
13. Trim the Zipper Pocket seam allowances to 1/4″
14. Stitch the sides of the pocket pieces, stitching over the facing triangle leaving the bottom edge with the pressed seam allowance open! This will be your turning point.
15. Finish your bag construction (Make sure to leave the Zipper Open), Turn right sides out through the open bottom of your Zipper Pocket.
16. Pull the Zipper Pocket and Edgestitch the opening closed.
I hope this tutorial is useful to you.