Ruby Dress: How to Attach an Exposed Zipper includes?
- Zipper preparation
- Piece preparation
- Installation of the zipper
- 14″ of zipper
- Zipper Pull
- Double Tape
- SF101 Interfacing (optional)
- lighter (to burn the zipper edges)
Preparing the Zipper
- If you are using zipper by the yard, cut a 15″ piece of zipper
- Insert the zipper pull
- Burn the zipper edges to avoid unraveling
- Fold the zipper ends forming a triangle
- hand stitch in place
Preparing your piece
- If your fabric ravels you can reinforce the zipper area with SF101 interfacing.
- Use a tailor’s chalk to mark 1/4″ on each side at the start of the skirt seam (or where your zipper ends). (this space will allow an opening of 1/2″)
- Make a diagonal cut to the mark
- Press the down the triangle piece at the bottom of the zipper and press
- Press your 1″ for your zipper seam allowance
- Press about 1/2″ of the lining waist to the wrong side.
Installing the zipper
- Use double tape to place the folded fabric over your zipper (Use the zipper tape lines to align your fabric)
- Unfold and stitch in place using your fold line as your guidance
- Cover your zipper with the lining – the zipper will be sandwiched in the middle.
- Stitch on the same stitches. Make sure you stitch over the folded lining (your zipper will have a nice finishing using this technique)
- Repeat on the other side
- To finish, stitch the bottom of your zipper making a square – to secure, stitch a few times.
Now, turn your piece to the right side and take a picture! Share your exposed zipper in our MHS Facebook Group!
Next, we will do some hand stitching to finish the dress (hemming and securing the lining to the waist seam allowance).
If you’re sharing your pictures on Tweeter or Instagram, please use the hashtag #mhsrubydress. If you are not on either of those, you could always email pics to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please check your feed, the data was entered incorrectly.